Saturday, March 7, 2009

Oh, The Plans I've Made

I have many things I want to accomplish, and I am not certain they will get done. My mind wanders from project to project like a male dog in a fire hydrant factory. These items are catogorized as both everyday projects and life goals. You would think that life goals would be the tough list, but you would be wrong. The tough stuff is the everyday stuff. You know, like wanting to finish the basement or building a big tree house. I even fantasize about building a 2 story deck over the roof of my house with a slide, but I am not sure I can officially count that as a goal as my wife would veto that one right out.(Yes, I know I am 48 years old, but I still want to have fun)
But it is good to have goals, isn't it? I mean there is more to life than just work and television. Yeah, I watch way too much TV, and that is part of the problem with my plans and goals. I try to plan my exsistence around work and TV. I know that I waste too much time in front of that seductive, mind-numbing screen, but I cannot help it. I am an American. There's my excuse. I let time go by as my mind goes to mush watching all those shows. 24, CSI, NCIS, L&O, Monk, Psyche, The Mentalist, History Channel, Discovery, FX, MSNBC, SciFi, and many others conspire to extinguish my aspirations. I know, I know, I am a free self-determined human being who could choose remove the remote, but my will-power has long been taken from me.

I remember growing up in North Dakota getting only a couple of TV stations. As a pre-schooler I would watch Captain Kangaroo on our black and white TV set. I am sure it was then when the demon of the tube first grabbed my soul. Then, when I was 16, I came to live with my sister and brother-in-law in Kansas City. The full transfer of power to the demon box became complete as I was first introduced to cable TV. I thought I was in heaven, but I wasn't. Aspirations, goals, and dreams were set aside for the box that educated me to mediocrity.

Okay, things really aren't that bad. I haved traveled to Europe and around America. I have seen some pretty spectacular things. I have experienced many joys. But I still want to accomplish more. It is time for me to turn off the set and start anew. I am not sure if all my goals and aspiartions will get finished, but at least I have them. By the way, I just checked with my wife, the 2 story deck with slide,,,it ain't happening. Oh well, I can cross that one off my list. How's your list comming?

No comments:

Post a Comment